How to Master Best Saltwater Trolling Motor in 6 Simple Step
I spent some time at the sporting goods store today. I had to go there to look for the best saltwater trolling motor.
But then I went on a lengthy saltwater fishing trip. And my freshwater trolling motor rusted. Can you use a freshwater one in salty water? Typically, yes. But for extended lengths of time, no.
This leads me to do some research on the best salt water trolling motor.
- DEPLOY ASSIST LEVER Get in and out of the water easily
- CoPilot The original wireless remote gives you push-button command of speed and steering of your trolling motor
- WEEDLESS WEDGE 2 PROP With swept-back flared blades to power through anything
- ADVANCED CORROSION PROTECTION Riptide motor lower unit housings are grit-blasted, then coated in aluminum to prevent oxidization and rust
- DIGITAL MAXIMIZER Provides up to 5 times longer run time on a single battery charge
- 55lb thrust
- 36 inch composite fiberglass high-strength shaft with heavy duty nylon mount
- 8 speeds (5 forward & 3 reverse) – DC 12V
- 10-Point LED Battery Meter – This super bright LED display provides immediate charge reading of your DC 12V Lead-Acid Deep Cycle or Marine Battery (battery not included)
- USA SERVICE: Newport Vessels is based in California with a full in-house customer service team (M-F 9am-5pm PST). BUY IN CONFIDENCE
- We stand behind every product we make with industry leading customer service and a 2 YEAR WARRANTY
- Patented Variable Ratio Steering (VRS) lets you accurately position your boat even in wind, rough water, and other challenging conditions
- Foot-control unit with heel/toe design and directional indicator; lets you keep both hands for what really counts—reeling in the big one
- Rigid aircraft grade aluminum mount and stainless steel bushings ensure dependable performance
- Ultra-quiet on the water, thanks to the composite precision locking pin and composite bushings installed in key areas
- PORTABLE – Watersnake Saltwater Electric Outboard Motor is the ultimate in lightweight portability, weighing only 4.85lbs (2.2kg). Watersnake’s simple design keeps the weight down while delivering quality and performance.
- COMPATIBLE – It is the ideal trolling motor to use on kayaks, canoes, small dinghies, and inflatable boats. Please note: Battery not included.
- DESIGN – 24” shaft, adjustable mount fitting that makes for easy attachment, and anti-impact clip system. This easy to steer motor uses a hand tiller with an extendable handle, high and low speed control, forward and reverse switch and two blade weedless propeller design.
- More powerful large thrust brushless electric motor suitable for boats to 2.0 tons
- Higher efficiency, achieve 65% efficiency, 30-60% higher than brushed motors and 100-200% higher than gasoline engine
- Much quieter than same power gasoline engine and half to one third the weight.
- Motor Controller protects motor, battery and user: Low-Voltage protection, overheating protection, stall protection, sudden start protection, and reverse polarity protection.
- Rugged engineering, sealed motor, galvanic design, sacrificial anode for trouble-free saltwater operation
You being on this page means you are passionate about matters watersports, kayaking, or fishing. We are also here to help you with just that. Our discussions hereunder revolve around the best trolling motor. This little-known gadget is more important for water activities than you ever know.
In the discussions, we are going to look into all that pertains this gadget. We shall define what it is and examine a couple of them on the market today. Then, we shall look into the tips which you have to adhere to in order to utilize your beloved fastest saltwater trolling motor well.
What Is A Saltwater Trolling Motor?
For a start, it refers to a self-contained electronic unit which comprises an electric trolling motor, some controls, and a propeller. This unit attaches to the angler of a small boat at the bow.
Its main purpose is to yield the propulsion energy that is required to keep your water vessel moving. In most cases, it is used as a secondary source of propulsion. However, as for the case of gasoline-powered vessels, it acts as the primary mode of propulsion.
Refernce Article: Trolling Motor Mounting Technique
Best Saltwater Trolling Motors Review – 2021
Our motor reviews hereunder examines 15 of the top gadgets of this kind:
1. Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive 55 , 48″ Shaft Length
Do you plan to go out in the open sea to catch fish? This is the saltwater trolling motor to fix your vessel. It is a great motor, extremely energetic and able to take on the harshest waves. Many past users have also found it reliable.
In all, this reliable motor features some high levels of innovations. It is sleek, tough in scope and stature. All these combine to make it truly reliable for use in the roughest of waters available.
Though powerful and strong, this saltwater trolling motor operates pretty coolly. This trolling motor is structured in such a way as to prevent overheating even when running for an extended amount of time. With quiet operations come added catch.
Swept-back Flared Blades
The blades of the saltwater trolling motors are shaped in a swept-back flare design. They amplify the power output of the mounted saltwater electric trolling motors to make them more reliable. Moreover, they also chop and hack weeds which may be present along your paths.
- Works longer and more reliable
- Guarantees instant power output
- Highly responsive and time-saving
- Greatly innovative and truly reliable for use
- Stays quiet throughout the entire duration of use
- Only for professional fishing
- Too complicated to a simple user
2. Newport Vessels X-Series, Transom Mounted
Looking for the most powerful trolling motor ? Place your hands on this newport vessels trolling motor model which resistant to corrosion and longer in life. You will not really have to spend too much of your money managing it.
It generates an impressive 55 pounds of thrust. This is strong enough to provide your vessel the push it needs to travel throughout the roughest waters. Moreover, it also overheats not even when used for long.
36-inch Composite Fiberglass Shaft
Its skeleton comes in the form of a composite fiberglass shaft that measures 36 inches. With this construction, the shaft is full of strength and adjusts to accommodate your desired parameters of sailing.
30 Degree Adjustable
A control head exists to let you manage your rides effectively. It tilts at an angle of around 30°. Using this head, you are certain to achieve some smooth rides at all times of use and sails.
- Displays the charge readings to you in real-time
- Useful for all kinds of sailing undertakings
- Let’s you adjust the level of comfort of your steering
- Attaches to many kinds of water vessels
- Handles 8-speed options for smoothest rides
- Cannot take on turbulent waters
Also Read : Best Hydrofoils For Outboard Motor
3. Motorguide Saltwater Trolling Motor
Seeking a motor solely for saltwater use? You have a companion in this particular trolling motor. By its design and makeup, Motorguide saltwater trolling motor with a foot control unit is all you may need for fishing in waters that are not too salty.
Patented Variable Ratio Steering (VRS)
It is not uncommon to confront some turbulent winds while fishing. The manufacturers of this trolling motor understand this fact too well. In order to help them with that, they have incorporated the patented variable-ratio steering control mechanism.
Foot control Unit
A food control unit also comes along in this trolling motor. Its aim basically is to help you in targeting the bigger catches for your maximum efficiency. It has an LED steering indicator to make your fishing even more convenient.
All the crucial parts and components of this motor are made of tough and durable parts. They are the stainless steel and the rigid aircraft-grade aluminum respectively. These bring down your costs of repairs.
Discover Other Motorguide Saltwater Trolling Motors Here
- All new mount design
- New rugged composite shaft provides the necessary support
- Composite locking pins add some security
- Precision response steering makes controls smoother
- Variable ratio technology aids in navigation
- Has a limited carrying capacity
4. Minn Kota Riptide 80 St Bow Mount Trolling Motor
If you are barely starting out in the field of kayaking or watersports, we ask that you use a simple best bow mount trolling motor of this kind. This minn kota saltwater trolling motor model contains the bare minimum parts and components needful to do a good job.By using this small trolling motor for kayak, your sailing experience will reach extra mileage!
This bow mount trolling motor comes in some rugged construction. Its rugged construction also makes it deliver the power that is necessary to propel your vessel smoothly on the water. This also yields some improved performance.
Convenient Handle and Fall-away Ramps
The handle comes in next. It is, on the whole, easier to handle and engage. These handles complement the fall-away ramps which let you embark and disembark the vessel with ease.
New Re-designed Foot Pedal
To steer the vessel, you will have to make do with the newly redesigned foot pedal. It is easier to engage as it demands limited effort and attention on your part. By using it, you will enjoy some added thrill.
- Backed by awesome warranty
- Contains some re-designed mounting bracket
- Delivers only the power that you need
- Generates an impressive 80-pound thrust
- A co-pilot exists to enhance the power output
- Too simple for complex chores
Recommended Article: Best Outboard Motor For Canoe
5. Newport Vessels 40lb Thrust Freshwater Transom Mounted
Looking for a motor for whole day backup of your fishing boats? Such a motor has to be cool enough not to overheat even when subjected to the intense heat from the sun. We ask that you try this transom mount trolling motor.
Both its telescoping handle that measures 6 inches and the control box are tilt adjustable. Courtesy of this feature, you will be able to adjust the handles and the box to make your steering as comfortable as can be.
8-speed Control System
It varies speed levels to around eight positions. These are broken to 3 reverse speeds and 5 forward speeds respectively. They jointly accrue some smooth and easy rides as you move along.
Generating the thrust is the 3-blade propeller. Its diameter is 10 inches and manages to bring forth some optimal performance indeed. Your rides will never be the same again if you place your bet on it.
- Adjusts to accommodate different depths of water
- Generates smooth rides throughout the duration of use
- Keeps you posted on the levels of charge as you move along
- Compatible with the saltwater features
- Suitable for a vast array of applications
- Quite weighty and imposes some drag
Recommended Article: Top 9 Heavy Equipment Grease
6. Watersnake ASP 12v Trolling Motor for Kayak Saltwater
If your water vessels are smaller like the newport vessels inflatable boats, small dinghies, or the kayaks, you want a similarly less but powerful trolling motor like this one. Do consider reading our watersnake trolling motor review because it has the bare minimum features needful for the job.
Comprehensive Controls Mechanisms
This electric trolling motor comes along with all the control mechanisms you may seek. These are the high-speed, low-speed, and the forward and reverse switches. A stow-away tiller handle also exists for your carrying.
You may also use this trolling motor in the salty water. This is because its parts are non-corrosive and stand the test of time indeed. In the course of so doing, you will not have to worry too much too!
Providing the necessary propulsion force is the two-blade propeller. Other than merely providing the propulsion force, this trolling motor for kayak saltwater also deflects the weeds to allow for smooth sailing all along.
- Resistant to impacts when engaged
- Lightweight and easier to carry around
- Achieves a higher maximum speed
- Usable with ease regardless of the prevailing speed levels
- Operable both in the forward and backward directions
- Suited only for smaller vessels
- Generates limited thrust (24 pounds only)
Also Read : 10 Best Boat Trailer Locks Reviewed
7. Minn Kota Riptide SC Transom Trolling Motor
Frequent fishing in sea waters comes with the dangers of increased corrosion of the vessels. To counter this problem, it is important that you choose this minn kota trolling motor that has anti-corrosive properties are topnotch.
Indestructible Composite Shaft
An indestructible composite shaft exists to allow for easy mounting and installation. Being strong and durable, this shaft is unlikely to bend, kink, break, or corrode anyhow. It hence yields long-term performance.
Next comes in a lever lock bracket. This one is rugged and contains none positions for mounting. With a quick-release lever, it provides the stability needed to handle repeated chores and performances well.
All factors considered, this minn kota trolling motor comes in a design that is pretty easy to use. Even persons who lack the necessary muscle power or technical expertise will find it a very great companion indeed.
- Powder-coated for added protection from potential damages
- Throws out extra vegetation along the path of the vessel
- Varies the speeds appropriately
- Alters the power output to conform to your needs
- Manages powerful and intuitive operations
- Generates excess noise which might scare away your fish
8. Newport Vessels NV-Series 46lb Thrust Saltwater stern Mounted Trolling Motor
Never attempted to use these trolling motors before? This saltwater trolling motor is the one we ask that you try out. It is the simplest to make do with and requires negligible effort on your part.
Durable Nylon Transom Mount
To mount this trolling motor on your water vessel, you will make do with a durable Nylon mounting mechanism. This one measures 30 inches and adjusts to accommodate the various kinds of watercraft.
All its components are made of high quality and long-lasting materials. For this reason, the trolling motor withstands the test of time not to mention handling many circumstances of use whether fresh or salty water.
To determine the depths of the water of your liking, you will use a fiberglass shaft. This one is full of strength and also adjusts easily when engaged. Your experience may never simpler and smoother without it.
- Delivers super cool operations
- Unlikely to scare away your fish
- Reliable for whole day fishing escapade
- Extendable handles cheapen the operations
- Alerts you of the prevailing levels of charge
- Prone to frequent breakdowns
- Too simple in scope
9. Caroute N200-24V 120LB Brushless Electric Boat Trolling Motor
Have some goods to carry along with you? The trolling motor you choose has to be powerful enough to generate the torque sufficient for handling such kind of cargo. This saltwater trolling motor has the ability to handle a whopping 2 tons of cargo.
Brushless Electric Motor
At its core is the brushless electric motor. It is this component that generates the torque needed to power the boat and haul the cargo. The entire motor is so powerful as to handle some two tons.
65% Energy Efficiency
Compared to many other trolling motors, this one boasts of an energy efficiency rating of around 65%. It is in fact much better than the gasoline counterparts. Save yourself some time and money by placing your bet on it.
Reliable Mounting Mechanism
Generally, the entire motor is easier to mount thanks to the reliable mounting mechanism. The mechanism is made of the shafts and fasteners derived from 304 stainless steel and an aluminum transom mount.
- Resists impacts without breaking, bending or corroding
- Its efficiency values are significantly higher (30%~60%)
- Generates much higher torque values
- Expends lower battery currents
- Delivers 5 times longer service life with free servicing travelling at home
- Consumes higher rates of charge
10. Newport Vessels L-Series 62lb/86lb Thrust Transom Mounted Electric Trolling Motor
Intending to fish in strong, turbulent, windy and big waters? You want a trolling motor that is super strong and powerful like this one. This transom mounted saltwater electric generates some powerful thrust that takes on such kinds of waters well.
You may mount this trolling motor on many kinds of relevant fishing boats. This stems from its 40-inch fiberglass composite shaft that extends to fit all kinds of fishing boats. This electric trolling motor is also strong enough to yield the reliability necessary.
Stainless Steel Hardware
At its core is the stainless steel hardware. This thrust transom mounted saltwater trolling motor is strong and sturdy enough to yield the support and longevity needed to fish with the utmost peace of mind. Moreover, this electric trolling motor works well in fresh water.
10-Point LED Battery Meter
Lastly comes the 10-point LED battery life meter. As you may have already guessed, this one gives off the charge levels immediately to let you know when to quit fishing and return to the shore.
- Generates a whopping 88 pounds of thrust
- Lets you place the precise operational depths
- Variable speed options for your consideration
- Allows for smooth and easy controlled ride
- Operable by the deep cycle marine batteries
- Inflicts higher utility bills
- Requires some expertise to handle
Many players grace the field of the manufacture of these motors. However, some brands stand out. The following are some of the top brands which make the best kinds of gadgets of this kind:
This company creates products which inspire and enable lovers of water to experience life well while on the go. In all, the products feature some high-quality parts and components. They are the newport vessels electric trolling motors, marine accessories, and the various water equipment.
If you are an aspiring fisherman, you have the Motorguide brand for your consideration. It is manufactured for the fishermen like you. The products are generally tough, powerful and reliable for long term use.
This company came to be in 1939 and has since manufactured and released many vehicles. All its vehicles are purpose-driven, yield awesome reliability, and have some intentional features. They jointly keep the fishermen longer in water to catch more fish.
Founded as recently as 2006, this company has indeed made and sold much marine equipment. Examples of these include anglers, kayaks, boats, and machines. Its range of products is mostly famed for their agility and reliability for long-term use.
Of particular is the transom mount motors. The company has perfected the art of making such mounts with ruthless efficiency. They feature some high-quality components which in turn make them last longer than usual.
Closing the list of the top brands is the Minn Kota. This brand is generally famed for toughness. They are indeed the most innovative of all that is in existence today. They are coincidentally the fastest and quietest of all.
Types Of Trolling Motor
There are three main kinds of, These are explained hereunder:
As the name implies, these ones mount at the bow of the fishing boat. It is subsequently smooth and easily controlled by the foot pedal or hand tiller. This kind of motor requires plenty of space to mount and is therefore not so convenient a product to make do with.
On the flip side, it is cheaper to come by. That is why you will find it in many of the yachts you come across. Also, they are simpler to install and subsequently handle. Yet again, this makes them quite popular with persons who lack the necessary skill.
Next comes the transom mount trolling motors. As the name suggests, the mount attaches to transom of a water vessel. To do this, you have to make use of the C clamp. Like the bow motors, they are also operable via the hand tiller.
Compared to the bow-mount however, they are simpler and less expensive. Their main downside, however, it is the fact that they are not tough enough to yield the reliability needed for long0term applications.
Lastly comes the remote-controlled trolling motors. These are either the bow or the transom mount motors. In addition, they have the added benefit of being able to control from a remote location typically by use of some special apparatus.
Some even have auto pilot link control mechanisms. This one takes the need to constantly monitor and engage the vessel away from you. You will find them in most modern vessels. Owing to their need for excess expertise, they are beyond the reach of many.
How To Choose The Best Trolling Motor
You have to take care of a number of issues to find out the perfect motor for your use. The following are the top issues to take care of:
First and foremost, you should be concerned about the pricing of the motor. Finding the best electric fishing motor for the money ought not to be too much of a hassle. You want to keep your expenditure within the safest and manageable limits. Compare prices of the various vessels to make the right choice.Make sure you know the type freshwater and saltwater.
This refers to the maximum distance which the motor can get to per charge. It determines just how long you might be out in the water. You definitely want a motor whose range is longest to guarantee a longer stay and with it, improved chances of making a good catch.
Ease of use
Motors come in various shades and sizes. These variations determine how easy or difficult they could be to make do with. For your own convenience, you want a motor which you can easily make use of. This can only happen if your factor your own expertise while searching for the right machine.
If you plan to go out fishing in salty water, the motor you choose has to be optimized for brackish water as well. Of particular importance is the fact that it ought to be highly resistant to corrosion and other potential agents of damages. Read the labels carefully to ascertain this parameter before you set out.
The amount of electrical power the motor uses per unit time and the amount of power it yields also matter. To spare yourself hefty operational expense you want a motor that consumes the least amounts of electrical energy yet yields the highest possible returns. Check out the energy efficiency ratings of the saltwater trolling motor reviews you have in mind for a feasible way forward.
How the motor mounts on the boat also count. A good motor has to be easy to mount. The manufacturer must also specify where exactly the motor mounts on your vessel. This is to avoid any ambiguities which might impede your smooth operations of the gadget thereafter. You too have to be familiar with the mounting mechanism.
Controls vs Expertise
You have to factor your own technical expertise versus the controls of the motor you have in mind. To be guaranteed smooth controls, later on, you have to see to it that you have the necessary technical expertise needed to manage that motor which you have in mind. Read the manual carefully also to go about this issue well.
The length of the shaft also determines to a large extent the manner in which the motor is likely to mount. A longer shaft length will usually mean great variability or adjustability of the motor when installed. It is in your best interest to prioritize it over and above those which are shorter.
Power Consumption Options
Lastly comes the power consumption options. A good motor for the money has to be able to draw its power from various sources. Examples of these are gas, electricity, battery, and solar. You want to experience the most freedom of use in your pursuit of your water-based activity. Be mindful of the ratings as well.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you use a freshwater trolling motor in saltwater?
Yes or No! Some trolling motors are meant exclusively for use in fresh water. Others though may do well in both fresh and saltwater at the same time. It is hence incumbent upon you to ascertain whether the one you have in mind can work on both waters.
What’s the difference between saltwater and freshwater trolling motor?
The materials that make them is the distinguishing characteristic. Freshwater motors are made of normal materials which bear almost no unique trait or feature. The case is however completely different from the saltwater motors.
They are made of materials that are resistant to corrosion and rust. This makes them better and more reliable at repelling rust and other agents of corrosion. On account of this, they also last longer than their ordinary counterparts.
How fast will a 55-pound thrust motor go?
Most trolling motors have fixed top speeds. Unless otherwise specified, this is usually capped at 5 miles per hour irrespective of the thrust generated by the motor. Expect hence the 55-pound thrust not to yield or reach any further speed than this one.
How long will a trolling motor last on a single charge?
Assuming moderate use and with proper maintenance, a good trolling motor ought to last around 4 hours. The exact duration of use depends mainly on the ampere rating of the electric trolling motor you have in mind. To find out how long yours is anticipated to last, divide the amperage rating by the current.
What is the most powerful 12 volt trolling motor?
What size trolling motor do I need for a 21 foot boat?
55-60 Pound Thrust Motor should be sufficient.
How do you know what size trolling motor to get?
First Of All, you need to know the boat length & load it carry on an average including gas & Other items. Based on this, you need to determine the size of a saltwater trolling motor.
WOW! We have labored much indeed to showcase to you all that may be necessary to know about this boat gadget. It is now up to you to go ahead and make an appropriate decision of the right one for you. Doing so should not be too daunting a task now.